Wednesday, December 29, 2010

bad hair day?

So you washed your hair yesterday morning and since then you have ran errands, went out, slept on it, and worked out. Now you're left with a head full of grease and plans for the day and you are stuck.

Q: Do you wash your hair and blow dry and style for the second day in a row or do you resort to having a "hat day"?
A: NEITHER! Thats right, you can still pull off another day of plans with your greasy hair without any washing or disguising yourself in your favorite baseball cap (both of which I've been guilty of!).


The items above are what you simply need (plus a cute headband which is in the picture below, my bad for not adding it to this one) to pull off one more day with style with that birds nest you got going on right now.
--First, get a boar bristle round brush! A medium sized one seems to work the best. They are nicer to your hair and give your hair a great shine and softness when you use it to brush. It also does a marvelous job teasing (back combing or ratting, whatever you want to call it) to give you great volume. They are more expensive then a regular brush or comb but do a much better job. I think I got mine for about $20 at Ulta.
--Second, you have got to invest in some baby powder. I'm tellin' ya guys, this stuff soaks up the grease in your hair like magic! And you can get a little bottle as shown above in the dollar section at Target and it lasts a long time! There are plenty of dry shampoos that do the same thing but this is so much cheaper and works like a charm. Just be careful to not add too much otherwise your head will end up smelling like a baby's bottom. You'll also get a weird gray tint going on with your hair, blonde or brunette.
--Third, invest in some great hairspray that holds well. I rotate between the John Frieda shown above, the blonde version of the John Frieda hairspray and Treseme. One bottle is usually about $6 or so which is quite the bargain!
--Fourth, get a cute headband to wear with a pony. You can of course go with the standard colors or black and white stretchy headbands but why not add a little "pazazz" and go with a fun leather braided one like the one I'm wearing below. I got it from H&M for only $6 and I will be able to wear it with any outfit without feeling like I'm about to workout.


This look was done with a very greasy head of hair in attempt to venture out in public. I used the above products as follows:
1. Sprinkle the baby powder into the crown of my head (the area at the top of your head where a center part would be). I made sure to run my hands through the areas I sprinkled to mix it in to avoid looking like I have a sever case of dandruff.
2. Teased the crown of my hair to add extra volume on top of my head (thanks to the thin hair texture I have and flat shape my head has). This extra volume makes it easier to pull hair back into a pony while styling your hair into a day "do" instead of pulling back a pony for a workout.
3. Spray hair spray at the back of the portions of hair that I teased to keep that volume underneath the top of my hair. Once I gather my hair into a low pony at the base of my head I then spray more "shlack" to keep strays in place.
4. Pull on the head band to add some style to the ponytail.

And there ya have it! No need to jump in the shower and waste valuable time and water. Talk about a "go green" hairstyle. You will look very cute in this stylish pony while deceiving everyone that sees you who are thinking you spent more then the mere 10 minutes it took to style the grease ball you call your hair.

Happy hair styling!

xoxo

-m

No comments:

Post a Comment