Monday, December 20, 2010

Working on your fitness?

One of my good friends (Kristin Meyers :) )gave me a great idea for a new post to share. She was asking me if I knew of any great places to shop for workout apparel that was comfy but cute but also inexpensive. And that got me thinking... what do I wear when sweating it out with my personal trainer aka Tracy Anderson videos (which I must say EVERYONE should try tracy's videos, you will be AMAZED of how hard that little woman kicks your butt into shape!)? But anyways, I realized that I usually wear regular clothes of mine that weren't made specifically for working out or old sports or school t-shirts from high school or past events or wear "workout" apparel that usually is more on the expensive side.
Here are some things you can do or go to in order to "update" your workout wardrobe and still feel cute:

1. I love to wear lightweight v-necks with a pair of leggings. I usually buy the vnecks one size larger than I usually wear so that they have a slouchy fit and long enough to pull down over the top of my thighs.  It's easy and affordable to mix and match different colors and designs on the t-shirts. It's simple and cute too. My favorite places for v-necks are Nordstrom Rack or Target. Both places have long v-necks in a variety of colors that are usually no more than $15 dollars. They both also have comfy leggings. Also throwing on a cute fitted hoodie or long boyfriend cardigan over the top is an extra for the outfit and good for when its cold! By not buying exclusively workout made clothing you are able to wear these tee's and leggings on a daily basis for other activities which is a money saver too!

(Here are my favorite v-necks. They are from Nordstrom Rack and the brand is "Threads for Thought". I would buy them in every color if I could!)

2. Every girl must get Nike's Dri-Fit athletic pants. They are 92% polyester and 8% spandex. They fit absolutely amazing! They are fitted with a band around the hips but then are slightly relaxed around the knees and have a slight flare on the bottom. A lot of my friends have them and we all have different body shapes and sizes and it looks great on all of us! They are super comfy, go with anything, great to workout in, look great on, and aren't too expensive. At any sporting goods store or nike.com they can be found for $40 -$60 which is INSANE! Go to Nordstrom Rack (while you're picking up those amazing v-necks) or Marshalls and youll get them for half the price!


(These are my favorite pants to workout in! They also come in other colors but I have yet to find them at the Rack. Let me know if you do!)


3. If you are in the comfort of your own home, it's insanely hot out, or just have confidence shooting through the roof you can pair a fun sports bra and shorts/leggings/pants as a cute outfit. Of course we know the importance of having a great bra but it's also fun to have cute bras to workout in even if we aren't showing them! My faves right now are from Target and they have thinner straps then a typical sports bra and come in fun colors and patterns. These fit great and look great on! And again they are inexpensive! Thank you Target :)

(These are the thin strapped bras I was talking about! I must get more with fun patterns and colors!)


4. Look around for pictures in magazines or online of outfits that people wear when working out. Looking at other people's ideas is a great way to find new inspiration. You can bring the pictures with you when shopping and try to imitate the outfit by buying similar items at your favorite stores and within your budget. I especially love to see what dancers wear because they also pair items in the quirkiest way that is so fun! Just google dancers or ballerinas and you will come up with a lot of different outfits that would be fun to wear while working out. Also Tracy Anderson always has cute outfits when working out so look her up if you're interested!

5. Lastly you can go to stores that tailor specifically to workout clothing. These tend to be more expensive but usually worth it because the clothes are made of durable material that usually fit the best. Ask the sales clerks too for some ideas of pairing cute workout clothing! Some fun stores include: Lululemon, Lucy Activewear, Maha Inspired Activewear and American Apparel.

http://www.mahaactivewear.com/
http://www.lucy.com/
http://www.lululemon.com/
http://store.americanapparel.net/dance.html



WOW! That was a lot but I hope it helps! Remember that if you wear something you feel comfortable and cute in then you have so much more inspiration to workout and keep up with it!

xoxo

-M

1 comment: